November 20, 2017
There is something awesome about buying a fixer upper and doing the renovations yourself. Some people fix them up a bit at a time, using cash as they have it available. If you want to make a big impact by doing small things, here are 10 things you need to include.
- Change Out the Lighting – Nothing says outdated like an old-fashioned gold chandelier. Lighting is something that can be updated easily and won’t cost a bunch of money. Lighting is for ambiance, aesthetics, tasks, and seeing better in the home. Changing out the light is one of the smallest things you can do that will have the biggest impact.
- Paint – There is an old saying: “slap some paint on it.” You will be amazed at what some paint can do to your home. A new hue can cover imperfections and give the room the blast of color it needs. Select soft, warm hues for an inviting look; white walls are drab and institutional. Give your home a color makeover; check out Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore for ideas and the latest trends.
- New Fixtures – Just like the lighting, the fixtures in the home become outdated quickly. Start with the kitchen faucet and then move on to the bathroom. You can update and upgrade a fixer upper by just adding these small touches.
- Paint Cabinets/Add New Hardware – If you have new cabinets in the budget, then you should go for it. However, if your budget is limited, then you may want to try to paint them. Painting old cabinets and installing new hardware will give the kitchen a face lift. If the cabinets are old but sturdy, then you can bring them back to life. Painting is inexpensive and has a huge impact.
- Rip Out Old Carpeting – Carpet is great when it is new; however when it is old and dingy, it can really have a negative impact on a space. Hardwoods are the best option, followed by laminate floors. However, if you are stretched for money, you may try a bag floor or a penny style one. There are creative options online that allow you to do great things with your floors for less. Check out “How to Choose Flooring: A Step by Step Guide” for more information.
- Add Curb Appeal – The curb appeal of the home is everything. It does not matter how great the inside looks if the outside is in shambles. Clean up any dead plants and add some new ones. Be sure to pick flowers and shrubs that bloom at different times. This will allow you to have color year-round. Try adding a dark-colored mulch to flowerbeds to add instant charm. Add some shutters and a fresh coat of paint to the porch. Use decorative numbers to display the address. Finally, replace the mailbox if necessary.
- Repaint Ceilings – Ceilings are often overlooked. They are usually white and the color is reserved for the walls. However, people do not realize how dirty these ceilings can be. A fresh coat of paint on the ceiling can really enhance the whole room. The walls are not the only thing that needs to be painted.
- Upgrade the Exterior Façade – The biggest impact you can have on the outside of a home is to replace or paint siding. If you have it in your budget, you can add brick and stone accents. Most fixer upper homes have chipping paint and worn out siding. Splurge for some nice siding or paint a great color to update the home’s look.
- Replace the Windows – New windows are expensive, but they are important. If you have old windows in your home, you need to spend the money to upgrade them. Windows are great for keeping the elements at bay. You will save yourself money in the long run by sealing off drafty openings.
- Update the Heating and Cooling Unit – To help the process of heating and cooling a home, you need to make sure the home has an updated HVAC unit. The air filters are just as important as the unit. Filters with a rating of Merv 11 have “astro pleating” to help ensure no dirt or dust gets into your system. Extend the livelihood of your unit by selecting quality air filters.
Everyone wants to turn their house into their dream home, but that’s often easier said than done. Whether you’re upgrading your space or gearing up to sell, renovating your home is a big financial decision. After all, it’s not only the place you live- it’s most likely your largest investment.
At Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hodrick Realty, no matter what your real estate needs are, we strive to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Our brand stands among only a few organizations entrusted to use the storied Berkshire Hathaway name representing strength, integrity, trust and universal respect. As important, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Hodrick Realty offers you a wealth of real estate tools to help you buy and sell a home.
Once you are ready to take the next step in to sell your home or finding the perfect home, we are here to help and that’s “Good to Know™”!
Looking for a fixer upper, you can search online for available HUD homes on www.HUDHomeStore.com. This database allows you to search by state, county or zip code. For additional information on the HUD process, visit www.HUD.gov
Founded in 1991, Hodrick Realty is one of the premier full-service real estate firms in north central Pennsylvania. It operates offices in Williamsport, Lock Haven, Lewisburg and Danville, serving the counties of Lycoming, Clinton, Snyder, Sullivan, Union, Northumberland, Montour and Columbia. For additional information, visit www.bhhshodrickrealty.com and like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BHHSHodrickRealty.